If I had to think of one word to describe my mother, it would be "supportive". No matter what I'm going through, I can call up my mom and she will be there to listen. While we may not always agree on the best course of action in any particular situation, I know my mother loves me no matter the outcome, and I'm so thankful for that.
My mom is very non-confrontational. You might even say that she does her best to avoid disagreeable situations. She is far too nice to yell at anyone, and she's not the greatest at sticking up for herself. But when it comes time to make up after a confrontation, my mom is the most forgiving person I have ever met. She follows her heart and does not hold grudges.
My mom is a very creative and funny person. She is a joy to be around because she's usually laughing and telling funny stories. She makes great craft projects, and keeps herself busy with little projects around the house or in the community. Sometimes she starts something and never finishes it, or loses interest before the project gets completed... so we have a closet full of un-scrapbooked photos that may or may not end up in scrapbooks one day. But all of it just "stuff". Memories are memories whether they are in a scrapbook or not.
My mom is strong and determined. She (usually) sticks to her diet, even when my dad makes deliciously unhealthy dishes for himself (with REAL butter and whole milk). When I was a child, my traditional views of "mom" and "dad" were a bit skewed. Dad worked from home, and Mom left for work. Dad cooked meals, and Mom did the yard work. Seeing my mom do things that "fathers" traditionally do gave me a a sense of female empowerment. Thanks to my mother, I know I can do anything at all, despite being a woman, or maybe because of it.
My mom is quite old fashioned! I often wish she were a bit open minded on certain issues. She tries her best to not judge others, however, and I know she just wants what is best for everyone. Sometimes my mom's idea of "what's best" and mine are completely different, though, and this can lead to fighting --- that thing that my mom is not very good at doing. :)
All in all, I am blessed with an awesome, loving, supportive mother. She is good and kind, and I wouldn't trade her for anybody or anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment