Jul 24, 2009

Uuuuuuuuupdate

Lots of things have happened. My friend Christian and I do an art project called "popcards". Basically, I write short poems (3-4 lines) and he illustrates them on postcard-sized paper. And we sell them for $5 at First Fridays in Kansas City. We debuted on July 3, 2009 and we were much more successful than we ever expected! It totally rocked. We also do "improvised popcards" where you, the customer, tell me what to write the poem about and then thirty minutes later you have a customized popcard made just for you! In July we did poems about an all women's art group, a man's Irish mother, the drink brandy and the state of Michigan, a girl named Izzy, forgiveness, a brother and sister, Michael Jackson, an accordion player, and a newly-engaged couple. It was super fun! We will be back at First Fridays on August 7th at the corner of 18th and Baltimore. Pre-made popcards are $5. Customized popcards are $10. Hugs and smiles are free. I spent a week in the Fairfax, VA/Washington DC area visiting my sister, her fiance, and their daughter. I toured the US Capitol and the White House. I saw the back of President Obama's head as he got onto a helicopter. It was sweet. My sister is getting married in May and I am her maid of honor. We picked out the bridesmaid dresses while I was visiting and they are absolutely adorable. My sister has good taste. And now that I am back in the midwest, we are smack in the middle of Fringe Fest! kcfringe.org Holy Cow! (my improv troupe) has had shows every night this week and that will continue through Sunday. So far, so good! We've had very receptive audiences and most importantly, everyone is having a really great time. Our remaining shows are: Tonight (Friday, July 24) at 6:30pm Saturday, July 25 at 9:30pm Sunday, July 26 at 4:00pm All our performances are on the main stage at the Unicorn Theater in Kansas City. 3828 Main Street. Tickets are $5 but you also must have a festival button. You can purchase both a ticket ($5) and a button ($5) at the Unicorn box office. Unfortunately, I did not get the job at KCPTV. The guy told me I had a great interview and lots of "spunk" but they were going with an applicant who had "more direct grant writing experience." Ah well, you can't win 'em all. I got my financial aid package so I can go back to school in the fall! I will be receiving my non-profit American Humanics certification from Rockhurst. I'm thrilled! I will then have actual grant-writing experience and the education to back me up so I can move into the non-profit world. Woo-hoo! This summer has been amazing. I can't believe July is almost over.

No comments: