Apr 11, 2011

My Thoughts on Thunderdome.

On Saturday night, I had the pleasure of performing with Holy Cow! in the championship round of Improv Thunderdome, Season 7. Spoiler alert: we didn't win. Fortunately, winning is the part that doesn't really matter. We got paid (which is always awesome) and we put on our best show so far (most important).

I drew "1" which meant we went on first. This is a very scary place to be in a competition for 2 reasons: (1) the fear that the audience might forget you at the end during voting, and (2) the fear that the audience might not be warmed up.

Well, I'm happy to say that the audience was ON FIRE, and it was one of the closest rounds of Thunderdome, ever! The winning team and the other two teams were separated by less than 4 votes. LESS THAN FOUR VOTES in a packed house of over 100 people. Pretty amazing.

Even more amazing was our set. About a month ago, we had to make the call and say our goodbyes to one of our performers. Doing something like that sucks, always. We've spent the last month working on a new-to-us format, listening, characters, and slowing down. Previously, our sets were full of rapid-fire improv scenes that, while funny, were often hard to follow and lacked consistency.

Saturday night our set was incredible. We had great energy, we listened, and we supported each other in a way we hadn't before. We had memorable characters, excellent lines, and great edits.

It was a solid performance and I'm so proud of Mark, Amanda, Christian, Ferris, and myself.  Going into Thunderdome, I was just happy that we had made it that far and I wanted us to put on a great show. Coming out on this side, I'm so glad that we put on a Thunderdome-worthy performance. I really feel that we deserved to be there.

The other two troupes had great sets as well, and in the end, Babel Fish took home the belt. It was an amazing night. Thanks to everyone who came out!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Holy Cow! had a great performance! You all have every right to be proud. I'm looking forward to attending many more excellent performances!