Czech (Ptácek): nickname for a small person or smart individual, from diminutive of Ptak ‘bird’.
Jun 11, 2009
Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good
"A nice boy from the motherland!" -- my sister.
My sister's fiance recently visited Prague. He returned and told my sister that everyone in the Czech Republic looks like they are related to my sister and me. It makes sense - we are half Czech. Our high set cheek bones and oddly parted hair coupled with the fact that we eat kolatches and dance in circles at weddings pretty much seals the deal, I think.
So it's fitting that lately I've been hanging out a lot with a certain Czech boy. (He's 1/4 Czech, but who's counting?) This has excited my sister and my mother. When I mentioned his name, my mom immediately said, "That sounds Czech! Is he Czech? How much Czech has he got in him?"
Needless to say, I am doing my research on my heritage now, and using the phrase "from the motherland", and making puns like "Czech me out."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment